Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: CDs Have a Short Life Span?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member CDNRunaways Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If I had my way, 33 RPM lp's would be the only way to purchase music! It wouldn't bother me at all. Even returning an lp to a store 'cause it skipped was minor, compared to the joy I received from large colorful lp covers, neat inside photos, lyric sheets, etc

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ellanoize's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2003
    Posts
    8,466
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have 78 rpm shellac records from the early 40's that still play, I have thousands of vinyl records from the late 50's and up that still play, I have 8-track tapes from the late 60's that still play, I have cassettes from the 70's that still play.

    I bought the story that Cds would last a lifetime, I have thousands of cds that i burnt, now they are saying that Burnt Cds have a life expectancy of 2 to 5 years, Whats up with that crap.

    According to PC World magazine, the best way to save data is on magnetic tape!

    I'm not very happy about this news at all!

    Tue Jan 10, 8:00 AM ET



    Opinions vary on how to preserve data on digital storage media, such as optical CDs and DVDs. Kurt Gerecke, a physicist and storage expert at IBM Deutschland, has his own view: If you want to avoid having to burn new CDs every few years, use magnetic tapes to store all your pictures, videos and songs for a lifetime.

    ADVERTISEMENT

    "Unlike pressed original CDs, burned CDs have a relatively short life span of between two to five years, depending on the quality of the CD," Gerecke says. "There are a few things you can do to extend the life of a burned CD, like keeping the disc in a cool, dark space, but not a whole lot more."


    The problem is material degradation. Optical discs commonly used for burning, such as CD-R and CD-RW, have a recording surface consisting of a layer of dye that can be modified by heat to store data. The degradation process can result in the data "shifting" on the surface and thus becoming unreadable to the laser beam.


    "Many of the cheap burnable CDs available at discount stores have a life span of around two years," Gerecke says. "Some of the better-quality discs offer a longer life span, of a maximum of five years."


    Distinguishing high-quality burnable CDs from low-quality discs is difficult, he says, because few vendors use life span as a selling point.

    Similar Limitations

    Hard-drive disks also have their limitations, according to Gerecke. The problem with hard drives, he says, is not so much the disk itself as it is the disk bearing, which has a positioning function similar to a ball bearing. "If the hard drive uses an inexpensive disk bearing, that bearing will wear out faster than a more expensive one," he says. His recommendation: a hard-drive disk with 7200 revolutions per minute.


    To overcome the preservation limitations of burnable CDs, Gerecke suggests using magnetic tapes, which, he claims, can have a life span of 30 years to 100 years, depending on their quality. "Even if magnetic tapes are also subject to degradation, they're still the superior storage media," he says.


    But he's quick to point out that no storage medium lasts forever and, consequently, consumers and business alike need to have a migration plan to new storage technologies.


    "Companies, in particular, need to be constantly looking at new storage technologies and have an archiving strategy that allows them to automatically migrate to new technologies," he says. "Otherwise, they're going to wind up in a dead-end. And for those sitting on terabytes of crucial data, that could be a colossal problem."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

  3. #3
    Inactive Member ellanoize's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2003
    Posts
    8,466
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm with ya 1000%, Stephen, I remember I had a bean bag next to my stereo and I would put on a new Lp and sit back and read the Lp cover As I devoured the music, I miss that alot.

    I'm lucky enough to still have a good turntable and I still enjoy going to yard sales and thumbing through the albums.

    After finding out that all these Cds may not last long, makes me wish they had never stopped making Records

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner BlackMagicRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    2,930
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Isn't that weird? you'd think that cd's would be better but they really aren't. The only thing is that the data has a clear cover on it but if it scratches you are still screwed. [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member ellanoize's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2003
    Posts
    8,466
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It really worries me. I thought once they were on disc & I was careful, they would last a life time.

    I have thousands of digital photos burned to disc as well as a load of music, some I may never be able to find again,

    I have posted on a tech message board & still waiting on a Good responce.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •